A lot of great bands release albums this year. These are what I’m anticipating:
- Every Time I Die – I know nothing of a title yet, but they’ve been generously leaking demos all over the place and they have never disappointed. This is their 18th year as a band and they have a lot of exciting UK shows coming up.
- Architects – the follow up to Lost Forever // Lost Together, return to their heavier sound from Daybreaker and Hollow Crown. I did like The Here And Now (for introducing me to Comeback Kid and The Dillinger Escape Plan) but it took a couple of listens to get into. I’m savouring the new tracks and waiting to listen to them in one go when it’s released for the full effect.
- Norma Jean – underrated band. Wrongdoers is my jam, I got into them a little bit before I’d heard of The Chariot and they have a massive discography with a lot of solid hits. The singer has been working on a new project with one of ETID’s old drummers called Hundred Suns, which I expect will sound like an alternate Norma Jean. The world needs more Norma Jean.
- The Dillinger Escape Plan – I’m not sure exactly when their next album is coming out but I remember hearing Ben Weinman demoing guitar work on Instagram about a year ago and this is another band that never stop working. If the latest single Happiness Is A Smile was anything to go by, the next record will be insane.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – after returning in 2011 with I’m With You, they’ve had a lot of time to get comfortable with their new guitarist. They just released a single (Dark Necessities) and it was awesome. There’s a real morose and sinister vibe underlying some finely polished hits and I think it’s safe to say this new album will do extremely well. RHCP are finally headlining Reading and Leeds this year. With TDEP playing the same day, I’d have to be a fool to miss it.